. . . N E G O T I A T I N G . N E W . S O C I A L . R E A L M S . . .


A R T I S T S T A T E M E N T


My art practice takes shape through live performance, moving-image, poetry and photography. My practice is site and context responsive. Sites of interest have been the traditional gallery space and other non-conventional spaces such as a fish factory, a discothèque, an allotment and a library. I aim to voice and discuss contemporary dilemmas and themes such as shifting modes of communication and ways of living. My experience of living on a boat and travelling far afield triggers my most recent work. My work is often developed through consultation with my family and the general public. The objective of my process-led practice is to engage, inspire and stimulate diverse audiences to consider new ways of being and coming together.


C O N T A C T

E-mail: charlottejackmanbloom@live.co.uk

Based in London and Cornwall, UK


P A S T P R E S E N T F U T U R E :

Net Works

Net Works (2011), live performance: fishing nets, lots of people, unpicking tools, 3 hours, The Fish Factory, Cornwall


















Charlotte Jackman’s performance event Net Works involves a collective untangling of used fishing nets. This work was developed through experience in Vietnam:

"I spent some time staying in a large fishing community. The men would suspend the nets in their living rooms and untangle the nets. The women would supply them with coffee and smokes. It was a race against the tide. I spent time doing this action and the language barrier seemed to open as the space became more primal and born out of a close relation with their surroundings and each other"

The peice is recontextualised with the UK, yet it resonates with the gallery's previous use as a fish factory. As Jackman's first major performance since graduation, a feeling of freeness is felt through the set up and the fragility between time, materials and each other. Net Works offers an alternative social situation which encourages the creation of new relations. Comments over head include 'its so good to be with people just getting on with something unusual'. The participants get caught up in the meditative tasks, involving sizable nets yet micro-actions. Particpants reflect upon the value of communual action in the UK.