. . . N E G O T I A T I N G . N E W . S O C I A L . R E A L M S . . .


A R T I S T S T A T E M E N T


My art practice takes shape through live performance, moving-image, poetry and photography. My practice is site and context responsive. Sites of interest have been the traditional gallery space and other non-conventional spaces such as a fish factory, a discothèque, an allotment and a library. I aim to voice and discuss contemporary dilemmas and themes such as shifting modes of communication and ways of living. My experience of living on a boat and travelling far afield triggers my most recent work. My work is often developed through consultation with my family and the general public. The objective of my process-led practice is to engage, inspire and stimulate diverse audiences to consider new ways of being and coming together.


C O N T A C T

E-mail: charlottejackmanbloom@live.co.uk

Based in London and Cornwall, UK


P A S T P R E S E N T F U T U R E :

Webcam Operatic

Webcam Operatic, installation, Webcam footage transferred onto DVD, computer monitor, webcam, Colour, loop, audio, 3:07



This work remarks upon the social norm of webcam communication. As like most people, I have friends and family who live abroad. These people could not attend my live performances. They would ask 'Is your performance acting...or a dance...or an opera?'. These performative attributes appear in my work but I could never decribe it as these genres. Then I thought I would play with the genre rules of opera. The operatic music which I lip-synced is sung by Mado Robin. She would break glass when she hit the high notes and repeatedly get into trouble. I found this beautifully powerful.

I perform as if I was singing into my bedroom mirror alone. The face-mask and towel cause me look unprepared for stage performance. This 'behind-the-scenes' act aknowledges the confidence through the singing and dancing we do when we believe no one is looking. This is the honest confidence I want myself and others to share through my performance. I sykped this performance to people all over the world live.