. . . N E G O T I A T I N G . N E W . S O C I A L . R E A L M S . . .


A R T I S T S T A T E M E N T


My art practice takes shape through live performance, moving-image, poetry and photography. My practice is site and context responsive. Sites of interest have been the traditional gallery space and other non-conventional spaces such as a fish factory, a discothèque, an allotment and a library. I aim to voice and discuss contemporary dilemmas and themes such as shifting modes of communication and ways of living. My experience of living on a boat and travelling far afield triggers my most recent work. My work is often developed through consultation with my family and the general public. The objective of my process-led practice is to engage, inspire and stimulate diverse audiences to consider new ways of being and coming together.


C O N T A C T

E-mail: charlottejackmanbloom@live.co.uk

Based in London and Cornwall, UK


P A S T P R E S E N T F U T U R E :

The Daily Fiction

The Daily Fiction, (2011)
1-channel video projection, photocopy amalgamation on DVD, newspapers stacks as seating, no colour, no audio, loop,




This performance connects newspaper reportage and activity of performance documention. Most performance artists hope to create an accurate afterlife to their work, to share more widely. Commonly this is done through photography and text which is a format shared with newspapers. Similary, a newspaper will suggest a factual outlook on a live event. However when we compare newspapers to one another we see that one event is reported upon in many differing ways. I began to realise how my outcomes where open for editing. Our history is remembered through the story we read or tell.

In the animation, hundreds of photocopies were amalgamated into this animation, which shows me eating newspaper cuttings. The performance and the documentation become one, causing a tension between the live fact and fictional image; the action of eating newspaper is believable yet doubtful. This doubt causes us to consider our belief in images and text. I think of performance documentation as an experimental field where rational repetitive methods can be critiqued by irrational judgments and illogical leaps. I have also produced newspaper turds as an outcome of this work.